CENTRAL ISLIP — U.S. District Judge Nusrat Choudhury ruled on August 21, 2026, that Michael Jeffries is mentally competent to stand trial on federal sex trafficking and interstate prostitution charges. The decision reverses an earlier finding of unfitness and clears the way for his trial to proceed in Central Islip, New York.
The trial is scheduled to begin on October 26, 2026, in Central Islip, New York. A guilty verdict would carry a maximum sentence of life in prison.
Choudhury described Jeffries as a "reasonably intelligent person and skilled communicator who possesses a more than sufficient ability to consult with his lawyers." She added: "To be clear, Jeffries is competent to proceed regardless of these accommodations." The court ordered specific accommodations for the trial, including holding sessions from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The trial will include at least two or three 15-minute breaks. Both parties are required to provide full transcripts each day for Jeffries' review. The court accommodations allow Jeffries to review transcripts and discuss legal strategy with his lawyers each morning.
Choudhury reviewed testimony from six expert witnesses, medical expert reports, and over 21 hours of audio recordings from 109 phone calls made by Jeffries during his four-month stay at a federal medical center. One prosecution medical expert changed her opinion on Jeffries' competency after reviewing evidence from the past year. Choudhury stated that Jeffries' phone calls showed he is a "fluent conversational partner" who can learn new information auditorily and retrieve it days or weeks later. In a recorded phone call, Jeffries told Matthew Smith: "they’ll take all our money away." In another recorded call, Jeffries told Smith: "It will be a disaster for us in terms of time, effort, money, every way you can say it."
Jeffries' defense team had argued he was unfit for trial due to dementia, late-onset Alzheimer’s disease, Lewy body dementia, and a traumatic brain injury. Brian Bieber, an attorney for Jeffries, stated: "The case, and all related issues, will be tried inside the courtroom — not in the media."
Jeffries is 82 years old and was the CEO of Abercrombie & Fitch from approximately 1992 to 2014. He is currently free on bond. A pretrial hearing is scheduled for the Thursday following the ruling.
Federal prosecutors alleged that Jeffries, Matthew Smith, and James Jacobson organized drug-fueled sex events in locations including New York City, England, and Morocco. Prosecutors alleged that victims were led to believe attending sex events could lead to modeling opportunities or benefit their careers. Victims were told not complying with requests for certain acts during sex events could harm their careers.
Federal prosecutors stated that many victims were financially vulnerable and aspired to become models, with at least one victim being 19 years old. Prosecutors added that some recruited men had previously worked at Abercrombie stores or modeled for Abercrombie. Jeffries, Smith, and Jacobson have pleaded not guilty to one count of sex trafficking and 15 counts of interstate prostitution.
Why It Matters
The ruling determines that the legal proceedings against the former retail executive will move forward after a period of uncertainty regarding his mental fitness. The decision follows a timeline of evaluations and hearings that began with federal charges in 2024 and included a previous determination of unfitness in May 2025. The trial addresses allegations of a global operation spanning from 2008 to 2015, involving multiple defendants and international locations.
The accommodations ordered by the court reflect an effort to balance the defendant's health needs with the requirements of a complex federal trial. The inclusion of daily transcript reviews and limited session times aims to ensure Jeffries can participate meaningfully in his defense. The change in opinion by a prosecution medical expert shows the evolving nature of the competency assessment process during the extended pretrial period.
Timeline
Michael Jeffries, Matthew Smith, and James Jacobson were federally charged in 2024 with operating a global sex trafficking and prostitution business from 2008 to 2015. Judge Choudhury initially deemed Jeffries unfit for trial in May 2025. Federal prison officials deemed Jeffries mentally fit to stand trial in December 2025 after his stay at Butner. Experts conducted a four-day competency hearing in March 2026.
On August 21, 2026, Choudhury wrote in her ruling: "Here, there is ample evidence—far more than a preponderance of the evidence—to show that that Jeffries is competent to proceed to trial on the sex trafficking and interstate prostitution charges against him." On the same date, she stated: "To be clear, Jeffries is competent to proceed regardless of these accommodations." Choudhury stated in her ruling: "Jeffries clearly possesses a rational and factual understanding of the proceedings to adjudicate his criminal charges."
What's New
Additional reporting indicates that Judge Choudhury wrote in her ruling that there is ample evidence—far more than a preponderance of the evidence—to show that Jeffries is competent to proceed to trial on the sex trafficking and interstate prostitution charges against him. Judge Choudhury stated that Jeffries is competent to proceed regardless of these accommodations.
How Sources Differ
Court docket entries state that Michael Jeffries, Matthew Smith, and James Jacobson have pleaded not guilty to one count of sex trafficking and 15 counts of interstate prostitution.
The U.S. District Court ruling by Judge Nusrat Choudhury states that Choudhury reviewed testimony, medical expert reports, and over 21 hours of audio recordings from 109 phone calls made by Jeffries during his four-month stay at a federal medical center. Federal Bureau of Prisons records or court order state that Jeffries was hospitalized at the Federal Medical Center in Butner, North Carolina, for approximately four months to evaluate his mental fitness.
forum Comments (0)
No comments yet. Be the first to comment.