ZAMBOYE — A landslide caused the collapse of the artisanal gold mine at the Zamboye site in western Central African Republic, killing over 100 people. Gervais Ganagoroh, a Red Cross volunteer, stated that more than 100 bodies had been recovered from the collapse. More than 10 bodies were recovered on Thursday morning alone. The government has suspended mining at the Zamboye site until further notice.

Authorities have launched an investigation into the cause of the collapse and to identify those responsible for operating the site. The Baboua public prosecutor's office announced that an investigation had been launched to determine the cause of the collapse, identify the victims, and establish any potential criminal liability. Rufin Benam Beltoungou, Mines Minister, expressed condolences to victims’ families and warned miners about the dangers of unsafe mining practices.

At least three citizens of Cameroon were identified as victims in the incident. At least four Cameroonians were killed in the incident, according to state-run Cameroon Tribune. Mvongo stated he was working in close collaboration with Central African colleagues to deal with the aftermath. Cameroon’s Mines Ministry deployed a team to assess the situation along the border.

Why It Matters

The collapse adds to a deadly year for mining in the country, where at least 40 people have died in several mining incidents in Central African Republic this year. In February, 20 people were killed at a mining site in Gordi in northeast Central African Republic. In March, a landslide killed seven people at a mine in the village of Ngourroum in western Central African Republic. In June, a collapse killed dozens of people at the Be-Mbari gold mining site near the Cameroon border. A landslide at the Konyeme site in June left at least eight artisanal miners dead.

A 2025 report by U.N. experts documented illicit mining in the Zamboye area, including the involvement of armed groups and extraction methods posing health and environmental risks. Mines Minister Rufin Benam Beltoungou reported a death toll of 49, comprising 35 Central Africans, 13 Cameroonians, and two Chadians.

Timeline

At least 40 people have died in several mining incidents in Central African Republic this year.

More than 100 people died after an artisanal gold mine collapsed in the village of Zamboye in western Central African Republic. The mine collapse occurred on Tuesday afternoon in Zamboye, located about 50km from Baboua and near the border with Cameroon. A landslide caused the collapse of the artisanal gold mine.

What's New

Bertrand Be Yangué, a member of the Zamboye youth council, said, 'Finding them alive would be a miracle,' and expressed sadness over the loss of young men and women who died in the mine collapse.

Bi stated, "It is horrible and we are calling for help from organizations and all people of good will to help pull from the hole those who are unable to do so." Bi, deputy mayor of Nana-Mambere prefecture, said rescuers and residents pulled 30 bodies from the collapsed mine over several hours. Ngbiri reported seeing some victims suffocate as people tried to rescue them.