WASHINGTON D.C. — The sanctions include asset freezes, travel bans, and restrictions on services from US companies. These restrictions severely hamper individuals' abilities to carry out even routine financial transactions as any banks with ties to the US, or that conduct transactions in dollars, are expected to have to comply with the restrictions. The US Treasury Department issued a general license authorizing the wind-down of transactions involving Tomoko Akane through September 17.

Rubio stated that Akane and Seye were sanctioned for directly engaging in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction. "The International Criminal Court (ICC) is a corrupt and fatally politicized supranational court that has maliciously abused its authority and exceeded its mandate. We will not tolerate its assault on state sovereignty," Rubio said.

Akane is a judge from Japan serving as the president of the International Criminal Court. Abdoulaye Seye is a senior trial lawyer from Senegal at the International Criminal Court. Israeli media have reported that Seye is overseeing the investigation into Israeli funding for illegal settlements and the distribution of weapons to settlers in the West Bank.

The International Criminal Court stated it stands behind its staff and believes measures such as those announced by Rubio undermine the rule of law. Human Rights Watch, the Open Society Institute, the American Friends Service Committee, and the Center for Constitutional Rights filed a lawsuit in New York against the Trump administration over its campaign to dismantle the ICC. The lawsuit filed by four human rights groups argues that the sanctions prevent them from working with the court to seek justice for genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity.

A White House official stated that Trump had lawfully exercised his authority under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act in imposing the sanctions. In a July video statement, Marco Rubio accused the ICC of waging a war against the US with statutes, compacts, and the force of so-called international law. "Today, it threatens every aspect of our political and legal system. If they believe they can deprive us of our sovereignty, we will teach them the full meaning of American resolve," he said.

Marco Rubio called on the ICC's 125 member countries to withdraw from the court last month. The Trump administration has previously announced sanctions on at least 11 ICC officials, including nine judges and the chief prosecutor. Previous sanctions were issued in retaliation for ICC investigations into US personnel in Afghanistan and for warrants the court issued against top Israeli officials, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, for alleged war crimes in Gaza.

Why It Matters

The sanctions represent an escalation in the conflict between the United States and the International Criminal Court, which was established in 2002. The court holds jurisdiction to prosecute serious international crimes, but neither the US nor Israel are members. The state of Palestine became a member of the International Criminal Court in 2015, expanding the court's reach in the region.

This latest action follows a pattern of US opposition to ICC proceedings involving American and allied officials. Donald Trump sanctioned the International Criminal Court in 2025, stating in an executive order that it had engaged in illegitimate and baseless actions targeting America and Israel. Israeli officials warned local media in May that the ICC may seek five more arrest warrants for ministers and senior military officials involved in violence against Palestinians in the West Bank.

Timeline

Research titled Christopher, Warren, (27 Oct. 1925–18 March 2011), lawyer; Senior Partner, O’Melveny and Myers, since 1997; Secretary of State, United States of America, 1993–97 was published in 2007 in Who Was Who. The state of Palestine became a member of the International Criminal Court in 2015. Donald Trump sanctioned the International Criminal Court in 2025, stating in an executive order that it had engaged in illegitimate and baseless actions targeting America and Israel. Israeli officials warned local media in May that the ICC may seek five more arrest warrants for ministers and senior military officials involved in violence against Palestinians in the West Bank.

What's New

Additional reporting indicates that Marco he stated that Akane and Seye were sanctioned for directly engaging in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction. Israeli media have reported that Abdoulaye Seye is overseeing the investigation into Israeli funding for illegal settlements and the distribution of weapons to settlers in the West Bank. Donald Trump sanctioned the International Criminal Court in 2025, stating in an executive order that it had engaged in illegitimate and baseless actions targeting America and Israel. Israeli officials warned local media in May that the ICC may seek five more arrest warrants for ministers and senior military officials involved in violence against Palestinians in the West Bank.

How Sources Differ

There is a discrepancy regarding the identity and role of the Secretary of State. The US State Department announcement states that US Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced sanctions against International Criminal Court President Akane and ICC Senior Trial Lawyer Abdoulaye Seye.